The creation of postal communication in its classical form in Azerbaijan dates back to the 19th century. The first postal service in Azerbaijan was established on June 1, 1818. In the first years of independence the postal service in Azerbaijan was separated from the telecommunications industry and began to operate as an independent institution. Azerpost Production Association was established in 1997.
On October 7, 2004, Azerpost became the national operator operating under the Ministry of Communications and Information Technologies of the Republic of Azerbaijan. On August 31, 2009, the legal form of Azerpost state enterprise was changed, and the institution continued operating as Azerpost LLC.
On 13 July 2021, Azerpost LLC was reorganised by merging with Azermarka LLC.
On 16 April 2010, after the Central Bank of Azerbaijan issued a licence to provide financial services to the national postal operator, Azerposat LLC started providing financial services in addition to postal services.
The structure of Azerpost LLC includesAzerexpresspost CE, Postal Transportation Center and Central Department of Special Communications.
The main objective of Azerpost LLC activities is to provide quality postal and financial services to the population and clients.
The main activities of the company are as follows:
In the area of postal services:
- public postal services (universal, express, courier, etc.);
- special-purpose postal services;
- subscription and sale of periodicals;
- receipt and issuance of telegraphic item;
- issuance of state postage stamps;
- manufacture and sale of postal products (postage stamps, other philatelic products, etc.)
- organization of demonstration and sale of postage stamps and other philatelic products abroad;
- organising the production and sale of a catalogue of philatelic products and bulletins;
- supplying the national market with philatelic products from other countries;
- organising the state collection of philately;
- creation and preservation of the reserve fund of philatelic products;
- conducting activities on other postal services not prohibited by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
In financial services:
- opening and maintaining postal accounts;
- carrying out money transfers;
- opening correspondent accounts with financial institutions;
- accepting postal deposits;
- issuing means of payment, including debit and credit cards, postal cheques;
- purchase and sale of foreign currency;
- collection of cash and other valuables.
In business services:
- sales of tourist and intercity transport tickets, as well as lottery tickets;
- freight transport, logistics, warehousing, forwarding and brokering (customs representation) activities;
- provision of postal and internet services;
- provision of long distance and international telephone calls;
- collection of fees for public utilities and other services;
- delivery of state social insurance payments (pensions, allowances, etc.) to citizens;
- organization of petty trade and commercial services;
- import and export operations;
- publishing, printing, press and advertising activities;
- preparation of carving and engraving products;
- carrying out activities on other business services related to postal activities not prohibited by the legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.