The State Civil Aviation Administration of the Republic of Azerbaijan was established by Decree № 512 of the President of the Republic Azerbaijan dated 29 December 2006.
The Administration was included in the structure of the Ministry as the State Civil Aviation Agency under the Ministry of Transport, Communications and High Technologies of the Republic of Azerbaijan by the Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan dated 12 January 2018 “On some measures to improve management in transport, communications and high technologies field in the Republic of Azerbaijan”.
The Agency is the central executive body, exercising control, state policy and regulation in the field of civil aviation.
- Participates in the formation of the state policy in the field of civil aviation and ensures the implementation of this policy;
- Exercises supervision over safety of civil aircraft operations, aviation security and environmental protection;
- Performs regulatory functions in the field of aviation within the limits of its authorities;
- Carries out state supervision in the field of civil aviation;
- Maintains cooperation with international civil aviation organizations, participates in their work and interacts with aviation administrations of foreign countries;
- Implements a unified national policy on airworthiness of civil aircraft;
- Carries out mandatory certification of all civil aviation entities of the Republic of Azerbaijan, including aviation equipment, in accordance with the national and international requirements;
- Develops, together with the appropriate executive authorities, the rules governing the use of air space, rules of the air for civil aircraft in the Republic of Azerbaijan, as well as other normative legal acts;
- Issues permissions to civil aircraft of foreign countries to operate (scheduled and charter flights) to civil airports of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- Performs inspections of activities of the civil aviation entities in the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- Develops competitive air transportation market;
- Participates in the investigation of civil aircraft incidents (accidents);
- Gives opinion on drafts of legislative acts in the field of aviation.